.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Friday, April 07, 2006
A Mermaid takes Shape

Most of the bead work is done on her. I have necklaces, hair, and a facial reconstruct to do yet. I sculpted this really cool face for her and when I tried it on, it didn't look right. Darn! It doesn't look too bad in this picture but the face looked creepy on her, not to mention that it was just too big for the doll. I'm picky on faces, they need to match the personality of the doll.

A lot of my doll costumes and inspirations come from belly dancers and showgirls. I like that bit of flash. When I took belly dance lessons we were always told that when you perform your costume must flow from the top of your head to the tips of your toes. When you are in costume, every part of you should be in costume. That is how I dress my dolls. They are decorated from the top of the head to the tip of the foot (or tail in this case). Everything that goes on a doll has to contribute to the costume.

Doing the baggie dolls was quite a challage for me. First you have to get inspired and work with items that you might not normally work with and then you need to create a flow with as many of the items as you can. It's hard making everything fit and sometimes it takes a lot of creativity. I enjoy the challange though. Challange keeps art fresh and when an artist doesn't challange themself they end of being stagnant and dull.
 
posted by Angel at 4/07/2006 09:58:00 PM ¤ Permalink ¤


0 Comments: