.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Friday, June 02, 2006
GoyaSolaris

I know several people who make these really cool wrap dolls. They almost remind me of mummys wrapped in sacred clothes adorned with special trinkets and death masks. I know, it's a morbid image, but some of these dolls are beautiful. I recieved a wrap doll from Griselda as part of a doll swap and was inspired to try to make one of my own.

Goya Solaris began as my entry into the GoddessDolls Yahoo Group's Celestial Goddess Doll Challange. Sadly, I didn't get more than the face finished before the challange deadline. Her face was sculpted out of polymer clay Part of her name comes from the fact that I built the face up around a soda cap from a bottle of Goya soda. Yummy! I love their sodas, especially the sangria. Anyhow, her face was sculpted and garnished with glass seed beads and a copper spiral.

I then made a wire cigar shaped base for her body. The frame was wrapped with a piece of wool sweater and then covered with blue cotton. I stitched the top fabric on in order to keep it secure and to keep all the seams smooth. I'm a little anal about unfinished seams. I then wrapped the doll in wire and yarn. I added beads, charms, and wire spirals that are all securely sewn on. I then gave her some blue hair and black feather wings. I've very proud of her.

GoyaSolaris will remain part of my collection. While finishing her, I cracked the one ray on her face. It's been fixed but that flaw makes it look sloppy to me. I plan to make another wrapped doll for sale at some later point.
 
posted by Angel at 6/02/2006 04:42:00 PM ¤ Permalink ¤


2 Comments:


  • At 11:51:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    I love Goya Solaris! The face is absolutely perfect and the colors are great...love blue and yellow in any tone!
    I think you should really keep on playing with these ...if that was the first one you have a future with dolls!
    Monica
    www.monicabelda.com

     
  • At 5:10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    What a wonderful face! I love making dolls.