.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Friday, December 01, 2006
Welcome Pineapple

When I'm not sugared up or caffineated I like to do Scherenschnitte. Scherenschnitte translates from German into "scissor cutting." It's a folk craft that dates back into the BCE's in China and spread throughout the world from there. Almost any culture who had paper and sharp shears or knives has a form of scherenschnitte. I live in Pennsylvania Dutch country and in centuries past, it was a major craft around here. Sadly, there are fewer papercutters. I learned to do scherenschnitte a few years ago at a Girl Scout's Leader Weekend. I learned using these little scissors, but I found that I have better control with my exacto knife. Like many crafts I do, I find paper cutting to be very relaxing; however, I tend to only work on a project in the evenings when the sugar and caffine are out of my system. It's an exact craft and shaky hands are a problem.
I'm impressed with how nice the pineapple turned out. It's just a simple pattern I found on a no copyright clipart website and I made a few modifications on it before I cut it out. I'm planning on selling it at the etsy shop.
 
posted by Angel at 12/01/2006 12:10:00 PM ¤ Permalink ¤


3 Comments:


  • At 2:13:00 PM, Blogger ~Tonia~

    Very nice. I have tried my hand at it as well, but sadly it has ben put aside for my knitting. One day I figure I will get back into it again. Some of them that I have seen are sooooo intracate and just amaze me that it was a piece of paper cut into the design.

    Good luck on your sale on Etsy.

     
  • At 4:20:00 PM, Blogger Dorothy

    It is very pretty. I have never been able to do it since my hands are not the steadiest, but I have always admired paper cutting.

     
  • At 12:06:00 AM, Blogger Breezy

    You have done a very good job. Keep up the good work.