.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Saturday, March 11, 2006
First Pair of Knit Socks---DONE!

Come on out Steve (I think that's the guy on Monster House) and put the big DONE stamp on them. They are finished and in the wash already.

Let me say that they were a learning expirence. The second sock looks 100% better than the first. Will I wear them? Yep, they may be loose but I can always use slipper socks. Will I make another pair? Yep, they are already on the needles and should be documented on the blog in a few days.

The particulars on this sock.
Pattern: Step Right Up from the book Learn to Knit Socks by Edie Eckman

Yarn: Bernat Sox in the Jazz Hot colorway (60% acrylic/40% Nylon Yarn)

Needles: US size 3 double points made by the Swallow Needle Company.

Comments: First I need to use a smaller needle. Even though I am a tight knitter, these socks are loose. They will be fine as bed socks and run around the house socks, but other than in my slip-ons they will be too big.

Second, Keeping the stitchs tight when you move from one needle to the next is vital. I've decided that they are not ladders, they are textural features. Same as the holes in the gusset. If you are offended by my racing strips and air vents then you can knit me a proper pair.

Third, these are the first socks I ever knit. Not bad for someone who went into this scared. I can face down trolls and orcs, but knitting a pair of socks scared me. I'm proud that I overcame my fear and accomplished something. When I first read about the Knitting Olympics I thought that it was a great idea, but I didn't enter. My hands were still giving me trouble and I had to admit, I am the world's slowest knitter (snails can knit faster). But I did give myself a challange, I was going to overcome my fear of making socks. I first decided to learn to crochet socks (I'm a long time crocheter and it's just more comfortable with my hooks). I crocheted two pairs of socks and then decided to start a knitted pair. They are my first knit socks and dispite the unique textural features they have I am proud of them.

Fourth, I'm addictied to knitting socks. I love the feel of them and they are quite fun to make

Fifth, the only real downside to this. I didn't like the yarn. It split too easy and just felt rough. I had a problem with it sticking to my needles if I made my stitches tight. I bought it because it was cheap, I liked the colors, and it seemed like a good starter yarn. I was not impressed with it. It just lacked that certain something that made it a fun to work with yarn.
 
posted by Angel at 3/11/2006 12:55:00 AM ¤ Permalink ¤


2 Comments:


  • At 5:56:00 PM, Blogger Tallguy

    Of course you would have trouble with that yarn!! They are not meant for socks... no one would knit acrylic socks! Kroy is a good second choice, but get some real wool and see the difference! And yes, you will learn a lot from that first pair. Can't wait to see your second pair, and the 37th!!!

     
  • At 7:46:00 PM, Blogger ICJ

    Thank you for sharing your experience!

    The first pair of socks is very special to the heart of a knitter... no matter how imperfect they are!

    I know I cherish my first pair of socks! LOL

    Good job!

    Isabelle :)
    http://tricotine.blogspot.com